Friday, March 18, 2016

Week Three, Knowledge Management

As a Head Start employee I have access to an entire online data base system that can be accessed at any time. On the website are countless links, downloads, webinars, handouts, specifically addressing Head Start regulations and performance standards. This web-based system is a platform meant to support early childhood programs identify, organize, retrieve, and apply Head Start performance standards. Visitors to the page can also find resources on leadership, classroom setup, child development or teacher education. As a result of this week's topic, I learned there is an entire section on Knowledge Management and Technology Planning for Head Start Programs located on the website. Quite an opportune moment to apply what I learned from our readings and videos against my own organization’s website! It seems that Head Start is trying to embrace networking knowledge as a business and provide an infrastructure that employees can access knowledge about Head Start at any time. As Weinberg mentioned many organizations have shifted from an “expert” knowledge to embracing practices as more of a networking experience. There were several opportunities to connect with other Head Start employees, ask questions, and contribute individual knowledge to the data base. 

Prior to this course, I have not spent intensive time within this section. Instead, I focused the majority of my time monitoring and implementing protocol procedures for professional development. I was surprised to learn on the cover page the first link was “what is knowledge management?” I discovered my organization defined knowledge management as a system that captures, organizes, and applies information in order to achieve the organization's goals. Knowledge management is also an opportunity to get the right information, to the right people, at the right time. There was also a recommended six steps process how to best support knowledge management practices within a Head Start program. However, I wonder how feasible a six step process is to implement. As Davenport stated, knowledge management is a complex idea. I'm not entirely sure knowledge management can be simplified into a six step process. I'm concerned that by not digging deeper it only reaches a superficial level of implementation. I'm curious if others believe a six-step process is enough to really support and successfully manage technology systems and share knowledge. Perhaps, more time needs to be devoted or spent on analyzing the effectiveness of this six step process and whether or not programs are actually implementing the steps or bypassing it when they happen to land on the webpage.

Dixon cautions organizations not draw an assumption that employees would seek out the captured knowledge and use it. Unfortunately, I have some concerns regarding the Head Start website and that an underlying assumption has been made that site directors are visiting this page. After all, I have been a part of the organization for nearly six months and this is my first visit to this particular section. I’m not sure if I would have eventually come across the page, but, without prompting of this course I wonder if I would have intentionally searched for knowledge management on the actual Head Start website.  I thought it was interesting that Harold Jarche described two types of learning occurring int the 20th century.  Jarche noted that “20th century workplaces had two types of learning: formal learning through training and informal learning (about 80% according to research) which just happened by accident or the result of observation, conversation and time in the job.” In my case, learning about this section did “just happen”. My discovery of this section was spurred by the assignment. It is possible if I had spent more time on the job, i would have eventually stumbled upon resource. Yet, I think this demonstrates a bigger opportunity to reflect on how many times this happens within an workplace. If knowledge management is about getting information to the right people, at the right time, what sorts of systems are in place to make this happen?

Search engines clearly demonstrate a tool that has impacted knowledge management. I had a very specific goal which required me to use a search engine to find what I was looking for. This is an important function allowed me to filter out unnecessary information and locate specific resources on knowledge management. The ability to filter out unnecessary information and analyze content are both important skills for a leader. Leaders are sometimes presented with a lot of information, or, they have to sift through a large pools of data. I’ve attached a great article for consideration regarding this specific leadership trait. Therefore, the ability to "sense, categorize, and respond to any given situation" seems to be an essential trait to have. Within the article a matrix is presented to help assist leaders putting this line of thought into action. I know personally, I have been faced with situations as a leader that I am not always sure what the best course of action is to take.


3 comments:

  1. The website is interesting on several levels. A lot of work went in to suggest a process is in place. The six steps suggest to me that they have conflated KM with information technology:

    1. Form a Technology Team.
    2. Bring folks together to explore the potential of technology in your agency.
    3. Assess what you have--from attitudes to hardware.
    4. Set your goals and priorities.
    5. Develop evaluation methods, staffing, training, policies, and procedures.
    6. Prepare budgets, funding plans, and grant proposals.

    All good...but almost rooted in the past practice that still viewed knowledge as scarce and held at the top...though at least this process starts with forming a team.

    I was also struck when bouncing around the website that it highlighted the Managerial Grid - Blake and Mouton's leadership theory from back in 1964. Foundational...but much has evolved since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a lot of time sifting through the information under the knowledge management tab. There does seem to be a "blend" of mixing knowledge management with technology. My personal and professional opinion is early childhood is still very much a "paper" field. It is rare to find an organization that has multiple technology systems at work. I wonder if this is why KM is used more as a suggested approach towards technology implementation.

      Delete
    2. I find it interesting that technology implementation in education did not actively include early childhood as it did the rest of K-12. There are so many benefits to utilizing technology in the early years, especially for children with learning differences. children at younger ages mimic language, one of the biggest aids that technology has assisted children with difficulties is modeling. Through electronic books and language apps. I was working with Apple Edu at the time that the original iPad launched and we worked with PBS and other educational "brokers" to help to produce quality products that would help children. My own daughter had a speech and hearing delay due to complications of surrounding her birth. Therapies and such could only assist so far, we found reading apps that mimicked language where she could hear and see words being said and then she could mimic them. We worked with her with these apps at home and in pre-school (pk-3 and pk-4) and it helped her to speak better to the point where she no longer needed speech. I think main issue as always in education is funding.

      Delete