Thursday, April 21, 2016

Final Reflection - Leadership in the Digital Age

As this course draws to an end, I continue to appreciate the importance of recognizing that successful leadership starts at the top, but it does not mean “top” in the traditional sense of hierarchy (or in this wirearchy). Instead, as a result of this course (and my Ed.D program) is that leadership is an intentional, interactive and based in relationships. While this particular posts focuses on leadership in the digital age, the core values and characteristics learned are applicable regardless if it is in person or online. Leaders and follows are connected and bond by the work we are doing. As a leader, it is so crucial to explain the context of what you’re doing, why you’re doing it, and how you’re doing it. This is especially true in the digital age. As we have learned during this course for both native and non native technology immigrants the implementation of a new tech or merging technology into an existing system impacts employees, costumers, operations, etc. The ability to facilitate as a leader the context for why, how, and what is being done is really something I’ve learned as crucial. 

As leaders the desire is to focus on how we are going to bring everyone together (I know I am guilty of this), make sure we all get along, and then everything should work just fine. While team building and morale is certainly an important aspect of a successful work environment it only skims the surface. Today, especially in this digital age, leaders need to embrace opportunities to motivate, build trust, open lines of communication, and really listen to feedback. This is a shift certainly, and for some the idea of building a transparent culture may be uncomfortable especially if they have not experienced it before.


Michele Martin’s blog post this week challenged some of my own perceptions regarding leadership. One of my favorite course texts at Creighton has been Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney. However, after reading Martin’s post I am stepping back and wondering if I were to go back and re-read the book how would the knowledge gained during this course shift my initial perspective of the text. Would I challenge some of the examples shared? Are there pieces that match and parallel similar thoughts when it comes to leadership? A thought that instantly came during my reflection though is that both value a network of inclusiveness and systems that worked better for all people. In Lowney’s text, describing how Jesuit’s schools provided outstanding education to both wealth and low socio-economic students while Martin described using PLC’s and social artistry. The ability to co-create and genuinely work towards a common goal that people want to be a part of and spend their time in that environment is a leadership quality I hope to nurture and grow throughout my professional and personal life. I really connected with a lot of Martin's thoughts and view points that are noted throughout my reflection and her insights this week.

As a result of this course I’ve really grown in my understanding and application of leadership. Initially I thought this course would be growing my competency and skills using various platforms of technology, social media, and web based platforms. At first I was unsure how learning about leadership in the digital age would impact my work as a director in early childhood. Now, I see that some of the beliefs and practices regarding training and professional that perhaps  we have maybe relied on environmental proxies for improving quality. I’m wondering about next steps and the opportunity to think more about where or why is change needed, how should it start, and then use data, incorporate feedback to guide our planning process for next year’s training calendar. I just want to make sure we are really thinking about our resources (tangible and virtual) and allocate them efficiently. 

I’m genuinely pleased that I’ve gained (in addition to my initial goal taking this course) a deeper appreciation regarding leadership. The exploration of topics like wirearchy, networked knowledge, hyperlinked thinking (all concepts that I was completely unfamiliar with prior to this course) help to inform how I approach professional development and coaching in my field. Perhaps that’s the “magic” of the Creighton program. While each topic is unique, the thread of leadership and the ability to weave leadership in every aspect of our personal and professional lives is what makes this program so unique.

My Top Five Take Aways:

1. Leadership just like education is an opportunity to kindle a flame versus filling 
2. Leaders need to develop skills that are able to translate both in person and online in the digital age
3. Just because an individual is a digital native does not mean they are automatically the best equipped for leading digital change
4. Personal knowledge is a journey, it takes time and reflection to integrate and share knowledge 

3 comments:

  1. Linda, a powerful post. I love the tie ins between Michele's post and Lowney's book! I also have enjoyed how you internalized this course within your early childhood discipline!

    Best of luck to you as you continue your academic and leadership journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr. Watwood. I have appreciated your insights and questions that required us to "dig a little deeper" and explore the relationship between technology and leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    I loved your final paragraph before you listed your take-aways. So many times others have asked me what makes Creighton unique. I usually explain that it is the diversity within in the coursework and the courses themselves. I am a person of many interests: I was a teacher, I am a technologist, and I am a philanthropist. Through this program I have been able to explore all three of these areas in the various coursework. Many times all at the same time. I find that the "magic" lies within the connectivity that we each have. We are exposed to other industries that many of us would never look twice at, the healthcare industry and the military are two brief examples. It is not that I am not interested in what is happening in these industries it is just that in my line of work I may or may not be ever exposed to these industries. Through our common ground of technology and leadership all the students are able to share and provide insight as we realize that each of our industries are not so different when it comes to the basic foundations.

    ReplyDelete